7.10.2012

In the Studio: Yunomi with tiled dogwood pattern






I'm testing a new style within my familiar Dogwood pattern. I have been working through methods for "tiling" the patterns on these Yunomi. The idea came from looking at the way tiles line up in Syrian mosques.

"Tiling" an image has three steps. First find a three dimensional form and choose one angle to focus on. From that angle visually flatten the object into a geometric shape. For me I'm looking head on at a dogwood blossom at the fullest point of its blooming. Then take the geometric shape and arrange it so their is strong symmetrical repetition. On these yunomi I have arranged the petals so they tuck into the negative spaces of the adjacent blooms.

Second, individually alter each motif to create variety. This makes the negative space between blooms highly active. Here I made the outline of each bloom unique by changing the angle that they come into the middle of the bloom. 

The last step is to add smaller scale pattern in the distant background. This gives you something to look at when you hold the yunomi up to your face for closer inspection. On these I am using an asymmetric pattern made from the same dogwood motif. At first glance you see a cup that relies on symmetry but the closer you get the pattern reveals asymmetric balance. I'm always working to create tension between asymmetry and symmetry so tiling is a good method for achieving this. 

The goal with these steps is to draw you into the pattern for a longer period of time. I want a pattern that attracts your attention and holds it.


My other focus has been exploring carving as a way to frame decorative space. I'm looking to diversify my textures beyond slip trailing. Most times I have to go back and clean up the slip trailed lines which takes too long. This extra cleaning step can turn smaller objects, like cups, into an hour long effort. From a practical labor standpoint I don't want to spend an hour on a $42 cup. I'm looking for a quicker way to set up the deco structure while still engaging your sense of touch. I haven't come up with any solid solutions yet but I'm enjoying testing the new carvings.

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Carter,
      Thanks man. I hope you are surviving the heat wave. Happy Potting!

      Delete
    2. I like the tiling of the dogwood flowers, but really love the textural smorgasbord you have in that last photo! Great stuff!

      Delete
  2. Golly sakes, I just wandered in from the great wide internet while researching a dogwood pattern from some vintage set I have, and I thought I'd let you know how stunning these are--love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Glad to hear you like the design on these pots. Do you have a picture of the pots you have with a dogwood pattern? I always love to see what other designers have done with the same motif. Have a good day.

      Delete